- Worship Services
- Church Calendar
- About Us
- Worship Information
- Member Access
PC UMC History
A Brief History of the First United Methodist Church of Pearl City
First United Methodist Church of Pearl City originated in the 1840's as a simple prayer meeting conducted by Methodist Circuit Rider, Peter Cartwright. The congregation met at Kellogg's Grove, southeast of Kent. Later meetings were held in school houses, as they were the largest buildings at that time.
Charter records and dates have been lost over the years. However, we do know that in 1891, land was purchased for $500 on North Main St. and by 1893 Methodists were regularly meeting within Pearl City. The first records of membership date back to 1897 when D.T. Kahl was pastor of the congregation. By 1901 a Methodist church building stood on the lot on North Main Street.
Pearl City Methodist Church celebrated anniversaries of their church building in 1951 under Rev. R. Stump and in 1976 with Rev. Fred Rickleff. On November 18, 1977, shortly after Rev. David Vosecky came to the parish, a fire completely destroyed the church building.
The congregation immediately decided to rebuild.
Many meetings were held and many difficult decisions were made, one of which was to buy new land on the south side of town. Ground breaking ceremonies were held June 11, 1978 and on April 22, 1979 the new builing was concecrated by Bishop Paul Washburn.
Since the construction of the "new" church, the Pearl City UMC congregation has seen it's share of up's and down's, but has remained steadfast in several core principles: our belief in God and desire to worship Him faithfully, the importance of family and children in the life of the church, and the congregation's role in supporting the local community.
Today we are a vibrant and growing church, full of new energy and new ideas, but still holding on to the more than 175 years of history and tradition that make First UMC of Pearl City (a.k.a. Pearl City UMC) what it is today.
First UMC of Pearl City
|1897-1905||D. T Kahl|
|1963-1965||Timothy Reeves (Supply)|
|2000-2005||Jane Stimpert White|